Monday, January 30, 2006

School

I'm going to open myself up here. What can go wrong? It isn't like anyone is going to come beat down my door! So here it goes...
 
Nikki is in public school at her mother's insistence, even though we know (her father and I) what would be best for her right now.

Tom just started Kindergarten at a public charter school near us. It was truly a gift from God ( I can go into THAT another time). 
 
The boys have never been to any "preschool". I always felt that was ridiculous. I mean, seriously, I think I can teach my own children how to cut and paste and what the alphabet is. Both of them have always been stuck to me like glue. I consider this a good thing. I always told everyone that they would sleep in their own beds all night when they were ready to do so. They would want to go to a friends house without me when they were ready to do so. That goes for just about everything. 

Little did I know there was a whole world of people that felt the same way I did! And naturally that went right along with homeschooling. I always figured they would be homeschooled and my husband was my biggest cheerleader. Really, he is my biggest fan in just about everything.  Yep, he still loves me! 

Well, Tom wanted to go to Kindergarten all of the sudden. And I figured when I showed him the school that I found he would turn tail and run. It wouldn't be the first time he was all gung ho about something and didn't really know what it was all about! But he didn't. He stood there and talked to a bunch of the other kids and told them about when he would be there too. I dropped him off and school the next month and he never looked back! I couldn't believe it! He is so happy there. But I told my husband that the moment that it stops working is the moment he comes home. I believe it will last through elementary school and then he can finish his education at home. I do wonder if his brother will want to do the same thing. He won't be old enough for another year and a half. 
 
So, for now, I help in the classroom one day a week. And his teacher and I are like best friends, seriously! She is awesome. It is good to hear from someone outside my sphere of friends and family, about my children. A little unbiased feedback.

No comments: