Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I read a book!

I swear I am addicted to books!

Today's finished reading was "Getting Started on Home Learning - How and Why to Teach Your Kids at Home" by Rebecca Rupp.

Loved it. A short book with lots of resources. Loved reading entries from her logs when her kids were growing up. These kinds of books really give me ideas and encouragement.

Quotes from the book? Two that I made a note to remember.

One from Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What is Success?"

What is success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of  children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
That is to have succeeded.

Also, from the writer,

"Often states or local school districts demand that homeschoolers take achievement test either annually or in the same years as the public school kids. In the public schools, classroom teachers are not held accountable for poor achievement test scores, and low scores are generally not seen-at least by school officials-as a good reason for pulling a child out of school. Homeschooling parents, unfortunately, ARE held accountable for low achievement scores, which can be used as a reason to terminate homeschooling permission and insist that a child be enrolled in school."

No comments: