Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flag Day!

Yay, it's Flag Day! I know! I get excited about holidays...any holiday. But I especially love patriotic ones! Hence the school name..."Liberty Academy"

Anyway, it is Flag Day and here in Anaheim, California I counted how many flags I saw flown proudly in my Mexican neighborhood. 18 and that includes businesses. I think I passed about 200 places of business and homes on the way home from the grocery store. But I'm not bitter.

Here is what we did today. We learned about our flag, where it came from, why it is what it is, the Pledge of Allegiance, how to fold the flag, and why we have Flag Day.

These are the books we used:

"I Pledge Allegiance" by Bill Martin Jr and Michael Sampson
"The Flag Maker" by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
"Old Glory - An American Treasure" by Robert Lang

And the website www.usflag.org If you want a tear to your eye, read the Flag Folding Ceremony given by the US Air Force Academy!
God Bless America!


No comments: