Friday, October 19, 2007

What are YOU reading?

This will be one crazy entry! Are you ready? I'm reading three books right now.

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, which I don't like so far. So sue me! I'm reading it for two reasons. I am taking the Face to Face with Greatness Seminar with George Wythe College and it is one of the books I need to read before the next seminar. AND we chose to read it with my new book group.

Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto. I've been meaning to read this forever. Now I have it riding along in my book bag. When I have a moment to myself, I pull it out and a read a bit. It is awesome and bit disturbing. I've also been watching an interview with him online.

And (can I hear a drum roll please)

How Capitalism Saved America - The Untold History of our Country, From the Pilgrims to the Present by Thomas J. DiLorenzo. I've only gotten to page eight and I'm saying "Yes!" in my head over and over. Government control! Ahh! That IS related to home educating, let me tell you. How can you learn about Freedom, Democracy, and Independence while you are forced to sit still and listen to hours of disjointed lecture on everything but. This is nuts to sit and move when a bell rings and regurgitate facts that have no connection what so ever! This is what we need...REAL education. Where you pick up a book, read it, talk about it and relate it and its background to your life and your country. How can we keep a country running when we leave these public schools knowing more about the secret sex lives of famous people, than about our own economy?

So...my study time is over! I got to get all excited about the book I'm reading and share it with my sons. I know they are only 5 (AND A HALF) and 7. They don't understand what I'm talking about, but they do see how excited I am about what I'm learning. And that is what is most important in home education, inspiring the children in your home to learn for themselves.

Ok, I'm tired now. Wish I could get this fired up about physical exercise!

No comments: