I love my chickens! I'm going to post some lovely pictures of my flock tonight. They are so sweet. The past few days, I have let them out of their coop to wander the property during the day. I had a feeling they would go back to their coop as soon as the sun started to go down and they did. All day long they have been hanging out on the front porch picking at bugs and eating my plants. It is worth it to have to clean up after them in the evening. It's so fun to sit and watch them up here. They crack me up.
Yesterday morning they were up on the porch, but then suddenly Frankie (the Americauna) went missing. When I looked around the yard for her, she was heading back from the coop. I checked her nest and sure enough there was an egg!
Today I cleaned the coop. They hung out around the coop while I cleaned and followed me over to the front of the house while I cleaned their waterer. Then followed me back when I was done.
They are much happier chickens now that I let them wander during the day. The risk of a coyote getting them is there. We have one that walks right through the middle of the property. But they are so happy, I'm willing to risk it. Especially since they spend most of their time right next to the house. It drives my dog, Kiara, crazy. She sits at the screen or by the fence whimpering. She wants to chase them so bad. The Colonel (the rooster) stands right at the fence and harasses her, strutting back and forth and crowing.
Yesterday morning they were up on the porch, but then suddenly Frankie (the Americauna) went missing. When I looked around the yard for her, she was heading back from the coop. I checked her nest and sure enough there was an egg!
Today I cleaned the coop. They hung out around the coop while I cleaned and followed me over to the front of the house while I cleaned their waterer. Then followed me back when I was done.
They are much happier chickens now that I let them wander during the day. The risk of a coyote getting them is there. We have one that walks right through the middle of the property. But they are so happy, I'm willing to risk it. Especially since they spend most of their time right next to the house. It drives my dog, Kiara, crazy. She sits at the screen or by the fence whimpering. She wants to chase them so bad. The Colonel (the rooster) stands right at the fence and harasses her, strutting back and forth and crowing.

No comments:
Post a Comment