Thursday, November 15, 2012

Studying Biblical Greek

That's right! Biblical Greek. Jake decided that would be something fun to do a couple months ago. I personally think it was in response to his brother learning Latin. Tom decided to learn that after reading the Percy Jackson books. He's a fan of anything Roman now, so Latin it was. He's been using Lively Latin. That's been awesome for all of us because he shares everything he learns. We're constantly reminded of everything Latin all day, every day.

Back to Greek. Greek is hard! It's a whole different alphabet. I'm reminded how hard it must be for kids to learn to read in their own language and at least they had the help of others who know the language speaking it to them. He started with lessons on YouTube. There were lots, but he wanted more of a classic lesson book, so I found "Greek-n-Stuff". Very cool. Here's the funnier part. I showed it to Jake to see if that's what he wanted and he was thrilled it was "biblical". "Maybe I could translate the bible for myself some day!" My kids are strange.

So he's added it to his list of things to do each day. He really does it every day, unless we are leaving early to go somewhere. I have to clarify though. Some people may think that he "studies" like you might do in school and that isn't what's happening here. He's made a plan to do two pages of the workbook every day. Sometimes he does one because he's excited about going to play the new video game at Grandma's house. He does what the book suggests and goes through the flashcards every day with the pages he does. It takes him about five to ten minutes a day. He's interested and loves it. He's internally motivated. And he is learning it. If I need to know what a Greek letter is, I just ask him and he can answer immediately. And he points out words in English that he knows come from Greek. He loves to wow us with that.

Today, I was making chocolate chip cookies for breakfast because he asked me to...yes...and he came in and told me that he was nearly done with the workbook and may need the next one pretty soon. Forethought. I looked it up and asked if he wanted the copybook that went with it or anything else. Just the workbook, please. We looked at a sample page and the list of skills taught. "Cool. Conjugating verbs. Perfect!" He's excited about verbs people.

I also have to add that I didn't ask them what language program they wanted to learn this year. I didn't suggest that they take any classes. The requests to learn a new language came between trips to Disneyland and the latest video game obsession. Tom also is requesting more "Life of Fred" books, especially if they explain magnetism. 

No comments: