Friday, April 26, 2013

Random Thoughts

Or are they? It comes up in my mind every once in a while, I roll it around, then I leave things the way they are. Facebook and Blogger. Do I need them? Do they make my life better? In some ways yes, in others no. There is so much to consider.

I started using Facebook about five years ago and have found it to be an amazing tool. There is so much wonderful information shared there. I've found people I thought were lost forever. I've found recipes I didn't even know to search for. I found gift ideas, projects, groups, photos, places, and gardening tips I never would have found in a magazine.

But there is a down side. Sometimes, I know more about acquaintances that I want to know. People tend to say things there that they would say if they were sitting at a park or a party with you. I'd get along fine with these people any other time, but knowing they are thinking THAT really bothers me and I don't want to hang out any more. Just in case any of my Facebook friends are reading this, no I'm not talking about YOU. It's generic and usually about people I really just don't know that well, they are acquaintances, not close friends or family. Maybe some people feel the same way about me though. I try to share what our family is up to and interesting things I find on the internet, but I also like to share a lot about how I feel about things I find. Writing a sentence or two about an article I've found doesn't do my thought process justice. If we were sitting together and you said, "Hey did you read that thing about so-n-so?" We'd talk about it, not just pop out a phrase and move on. Discussions are so much different and I really don't get to have them as often as I would like.

I guess Facebook gives me a false sense of companionship. Warning: I'm going to get sappy here. I've always felt a bit outside of things, not really part of the group. Facebook makes me feel like I am part of a group and I want to share my life and feelings with that group. But it's not real. Just because I worked with you, or went to high school with you, doesn't make us real friends. In fact, there are few people I even really got close to when I was working or going to school. I'm not saying all my Facebook friends aren't worth my time, but I'm saying we probably wouldn't go to a BBQ together. Does that make any sense? I think I'm figuring something out here...

And then this blog. I say I keep it because I want my family to know what we are up to. I think only my Dad and Step-Mom read it. I could share our adventures with them when we see each other. I also say that I'm writing to keep track of our adventures, for posterity. But wouldn't a scrapbook of pictures and notes be more personal to my kids? So what's the real reason? I think the idea that someone might come across it and find something that inspires them, is what keeps me writing.

I don't know what to do. I spend a crap-load of time on Facebook looking to see if anyone has posted anything. There are a couple groups that I belong to that have really helped me grow as a person. Hmmm...what to do...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard this sentiment from a few of my FB friends and family. My response is, I'm not here to change anyone's mind but my own. I don't consider my time on FB as a waste, quite the contrary. By reading your thoughts I've learned so much more about you and myself, like you said, than I would if we talked face to face, which is impossible to do to the degree we can on FB. So if you look at it that way, we are saving time. If on occasion you find out more than you need to know, you can learn from that as well and maybe that person will, by reading your posts. Maybe not today but you didn't start out so smart either. I love you. Dad

Freakmom said...

I read your blog. I love to hear about your adventures!

Michelle said...

Too bad there isn't a 'like' button! :)