I have something important to say. The past few days, listening to the talk about the federal government mining data from phones and internet use, I've grown more and more agitated. And it gets worse as I hear people dismiss the action as "a necessary evil". I had to stop and think about it today. I'm an anxious and worried person anyway, so I've learned over the years to stop and really think about what is making me nervous instead of tucking it away. I have questions I ask myself about the perceived threat and how likely it is of being realized. So I did that today.
What am I worried about it? Why does it make me so nervous? Why do I get physically ill thinking about what might happen? It goes back to 9 years ago and the fact that our local police and county government took a random phone number, my statements, and my behavior and turned me into what looked on paper to be a very violent person who had hurt people and stolen property at gun point. If you had not known me and had only read what the court papers said, you would have believed it. It took a lot of money, prayers, and support to get them to let me go. And they still believe that I am that person they made me out to be.
What could a federal government, with infinite resources and power, do with the same information about anyone? And how in the world would anyone fight it?
I won't let fear rule my life. I won't let the actions of a few dictate what I do with my life, what I read, who I talk to, or what I own. I will think for myself and make decisions based on what I believe is right, regardless of the threat to my person.
But I don't like the direction I'm seeing our country go in. I'm afraid, not for myself, but for my Grandchildren.
What am I worried about it? Why does it make me so nervous? Why do I get physically ill thinking about what might happen? It goes back to 9 years ago and the fact that our local police and county government took a random phone number, my statements, and my behavior and turned me into what looked on paper to be a very violent person who had hurt people and stolen property at gun point. If you had not known me and had only read what the court papers said, you would have believed it. It took a lot of money, prayers, and support to get them to let me go. And they still believe that I am that person they made me out to be.
What could a federal government, with infinite resources and power, do with the same information about anyone? And how in the world would anyone fight it?
I won't let fear rule my life. I won't let the actions of a few dictate what I do with my life, what I read, who I talk to, or what I own. I will think for myself and make decisions based on what I believe is right, regardless of the threat to my person.
But I don't like the direction I'm seeing our country go in. I'm afraid, not for myself, but for my Grandchildren.
No comments:
Post a Comment