Sunday, July 7, 2013

Thoughts about "The Illiad"

I had a moment with the Iliad yesterday when I read this, “I lay no blame upon you, it is the gods, not you who are to blame.” It was Priam talking to Helen. Really? She isn't to blame?

I find this kind of thing a lot in the Iliad and the Odyssey. The gods made this guy do that, or some other guy do something else. No one ever has an idea without a god coming and giving it to him, like when Agamemnon encourages his people to fight Troy, not because he thinks it's a good idea and they have the advantage, but because a god gave him a dream. Even the heroes are only doing what they can against whatever odds the gods have laid down for them.

Do we have new gods to blame in our stories? Do we do things in the name of happiness, money, or our circumstances? Or do we believe we make the best choices we could at the time we made them?

I believe we make choices and we have to live with the results of those choices once we make them...or do I? Bad things do happen to good people all the time. Maybe it's more about what we do with what is dealt us, like Achilles and his short life.

No comments: