I
have so much in my head right now that I am afraid to start writing
because I don't know where to start. I guess I should have
started earlier!
Dan and I attended the California Homeschool Network's Expo
over
the weekend. I went last year with my Grandpa and was thoroughly
inspired, so this year I really wanted my husband to experience it
with me. So he went along. I know he didn't particularly want to go,
but he will do things for me when he knows that I have it in my heart
to do it. So there we were. Childless for two days at a conference.
We went home for the night since the conference was close by so we
did have the kids at night. They spent the two days with one Grandma
and then the next. Let me tell you how nice it was to hear
someone speak on a subject and then have a quiet moment to discuss it
over with my husband. We had so much fun. Well, not fun. I don't have
the words to describe it, but we are a closer parenting team and
couple because of the last two days.
There was one suggestion from my husband. There should be some sort of Dad prize in the goody bag. Coupons and flyers for educational products are great for Mom's but he would have liked to see some sort of toy or candy for him, much like the prize in a happy meal.
Another
great thing is that he got me to look deeper into the
conference than I would have if I had attended alone. He asked me
what I wanted to get from the two days, confirmation that I knew what
I was doing or new information or experiences? Either one was good
for him, but he suggested that I leave my comfort zone for a bit and
check out something new. So we did. And boy what treasures we found!
First
of all, Jim Weiss, Professional Storyteller. What an amazing man! We
attended a session by him about historical stories and just fell in
love. What he does is research these stories and retells them in such
a way that you are riveted by stories you may have heard a thousand
times. Not just the story either. He explains things during the story
and repeats words or phrases in other ways so that you can infer
meaning. What was wonderful for us was to find someone else that
believed that the stories of our heroes, fictional or otherwise,
meant so much to children. They inform, inspire, and teach
values. It was wonderful. If you are interested his website is
www.greathall.com
And
now on to my second treasure, math! Those that know me are taking a
second look at that sentence, I know. I am not good at math. Don't get
me wrong, I can add subtract, multiply, and divide small numbers. But
after that I really use a calculator and higher math, well forget it.
Except Trigonometry. I really love that. But I digress.
We
were drawn into this speaker because she said she would show us how
to teach math to our children using an abacus. My husband had just
commented earlier about using an abacus and how ancient people
through around those beads like it was some kind of magic. So off we
went. I was enlightened. My husband is great at numbers so he wasn't
has boggled as I was but he was impressed and really wants to use
this system to teach the boys math. I can't explain it but after
listening to her speak for about 10 minutes I realized why I hadn't
been able to go farther in math. It wasn't that I was "not a
math person", it was that I wasn't taught in a way that made any
sense. I could go so far with the way I was taught, but after that I
was lost. It just got too confused for me. Her website is
www.alabacus.com and I
strongly suggest you read her work!
I'm
about typed out now, so I will end here. Bottom line? We had a great
weekend and I'm inspired knowing that I have done right by my
children having them home with me since birth. The stories we read
and the discussions that we have daily have all led to two amazing
little boys. And we plan to continue raising them this way so that
they become free, happy, intelligent men that know how to get what
they need for themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment