Monday, November 10, 2008

The Blogging Time!

It is 7:30pm..."The Blogging Time". I try to get the boys in the tub every other day. It isn't that they don't want to bathe, it is just that giving them a bath one right after the other is a pain and I tend to forget bath time until just before bed AND rushing them through a bath is not a pleasant experience. So we came up with taking a bath at 7:30 every other day. The cool part is that I have time to blog! Yay!

Tonight we played Monopoly. It is a "Coca-Cola" Monopoly that I bought about 10 years ago. We didn't finish, of course, and now the game sits on the dinner table waiting for tomorrow. Maybe we can get Dad to come out of his office and play for a bit tomorrow. I'm not sure how long the game will last on the dinner table!

Last night we played our "Pirates of the Carribean" LIFE. We got that a couple years ago for Christmas and only played it once. It was just the boys and I because Dad fell asleep on the couch and Nikki was working on some homework.

Dan and I talked a lot about the boys and their online game addiction. I have to say here that I have the best "unschooling" husband in the world! I don't like these games. There is a lot of very questionable material on there and the Lord only knows where they go on there, searching for new games. I talked about telling them they couldn't do it anymore. Dan said that won't last because they will drive me crazy. I have to admit that I like having more free time because they sit glued to the computer. He said we have to find something more fun to distract them. That night, I went upstairs and started to get out the box of Star Wars guys. I started sorting through them and called Jake to help. He was happy to unglue himself and see what I was up to. Sorting through them, I found that we have quite a few duplicates. I set them up as an army against the dark side! Jake got out several different sized of the Millinium Falcon and we had ourselves a war. Tom heard the commotion and came up to investigate. That is where the fun began. Now there is a army of military men and tanks set up against the Star Wars guys. We put them all over with a clear path through the room so that we didn't have to put them away and played again in the morning.

Now, I have to admit something else. I loved playing with my babies, but playing with my school age guys is a little boring for me. I'm not much into pretending and I tend to get antsy about house work when I'm playing. I tend to see how badly I need to vacuum and dust when I am sitting on the floor setting up the cowboys and indians! But I realize that I need to play with them more if I don't want them to sit and stare at the screen for days.

And now, if you are clear on the unschooling philosophy, you are thinking, "What if that is what they want to do? I'm sure they are getting something they need from the games." And I totally agree. That is the glory of it. If I started playing with the toys and they were more interested in the game, I would have left it at that. But they don't. They really would rather do something else, but play the computer games because they are bored. I really have begun to like playing. They are just so happy!

2 comments:

Maia's World said...

How wonderful to have a set blogging time. I figure I'm doing well if I sit down once a week and do separate posts for each photo essay.

I want to come over and play with the Star Wars figures!

I remember the days, pre kids, when I loved to play with kids. I love Christmas with SIL so I could play with her kids and their new toys. Now, I'm just like you, I'm thinking of all the other things I should be doing most of the time I'm playing with them. That has been changing in the last few weeks. Although the house doesn't look better, our relationships have improved.

Karies place said...

I have a blogging time as well, at 5:30am when ds R goes to his religion class with dh. But this week I've had a hard time doing it. Guess I've been too tired.

That is wonderful you seem to have found a good way of distracting the boys on something good.

Karie