Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Today's Thoughts

Several times a day I think to myself, I should blog about that tonight. But then the evening comes and I have completely forgot the inspirational thought I had. Then I write whatever comes to mind and it usually sounds like small talk at a party with my husband's co-workers.

Math came up today! I have thought of this "subject" before and my husband and I have talked about it. Nikki has had trouble in Algebra lately, not related to the work itself but the reasoning behind it. She happens to be one of those troublesome public school kids that actually wants to know the use for the information she is being force fed. Her teacher doesn't seem to have many answers for her.

I considered myself "math impaired" until about 5 years ago. Ever since 4th grade and timed multiplication tables tests I figured I was one of those "not math people". When I took electronics classes in college, I had to take Trigonometry and loved it. I had a use for those things and they made sense! But I was still bad at arithmetic. About five years ago, while at a homeschool conference, I heard a woman talk about explaining math in a better way. I couldn't believe it. I understood. I bought that curriculum and used it on myself! The boys came along for the ride and we really had fun. Now I add and subtract much faster and multiply and divide a little faster but need practice.

Dan is good at math. He can move numbers around like you wouldn't believe and Nikki has inherited that. I believe Tom and Jake will be the same way. But it isn't just numbers. They can spot patterns and shapes like you wouldn't believe. Watching Tom play with the Tangrams puzzles is amazing.

Today math came up at our park day. Pam Sooroshian was talking about math anxiety and how people become afraid of math. It was interesting to hear about her experiences with teachers in college. I have some reading to do about this subject, but it looks like most people do not use anything above arithmetic and basic algebra and geometry in our daily lives. So why do we spend so much time on it all through high school? If you only need advanced mathematical concepts in certain fields, why not only teach it to those going into those fields or those that are truly interested in it? Nikki had a great point. Why put everyone through those classes in high school (not just algebra) even if they aren't interested in the subject? Those that are so bored or angry to be there are bringing the ones that want to learn. If high school needs to be mandatory (which I do not believe), why not make it more like college and have a major? They can pick classes that they want to take. If they pass a basic math and english test they should be forced to take more of the same thing year after year.

And now I'm out of time. Tom is almost done in the tub. Both the boys needed a thorough soaking tonight because they completely covered themselves in sand at the park, including making sand castles on their heads!

4 comments:

Karies place said...

I agree with your logic of math. Math is my worst subject(next to grammar) and it showed. Now the math I'm teaching my dd (4th) is the math stuff I learned in high school. EEkk!

Hey, is there a link or book about this describing math thing?

Anna said...

I agree as well. I was great at math and forgot most of what I learned in High School becuase I didn't use it. I had to re-learn some of what I lost for my kids. LOL

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

I was constantly told I was a math brain etc. But I never felt it. I just didnt get it. Then one day I caught myself using algebra. I truly believe, you have to be ready for it. Otherwise you have a struggle.
I think the new HS grad requirements on math are ridiculous.
I gave up on math many moons ago with Christine....I couldnt handle the struggle...and head butting...it was where I saw my "math brain" ...I couldnt explain it to her "art brain". Now 5 yrs later...she is taking a math class at IVC and finally feels ready to learn it

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

Now you have me wondering...what math curriculum saved you. So, spill? I was a math doofus until a few years ago, but I truly don't teach it well. JBug teaches herself with Teaching Textbooks. I do like Algebra, but always had a hard time when it came to tests. They scared the crud out of me, and I would make dumb mistakes. I knew how to do it, but it wasn't reflected in my testing.

Anyway.

T.