Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cold?

It was dark this morning when I got up and not because the sun hadn't come up. There were big black clouds. Lightning and thunder and then rain. Rain! And it was cool outside. It stayed that way all day. In the afternoon, it started to let some sun through but then it clouded up again. We have the windows closed and the fans off for the first time in months. I'm sure it will warm up again over September but it is weird that Fall hit us so suddenly.

The boys and I watched "Cheaper By the Dozen", the one with Steve Martin. They were shocked. We just read the book a month or so ago and they loved it. I couldn't read the last chapter without choking up every other sentence. The movie was only the same by the fact that they had twelve kids. That's all. Not even the names were the same. Tom thought the kids were brats and that they should appreciate how hard their Dad was working to give them a bigger house and new clothes (in the movie), which made his Dad smile. The movie was funny, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have the moral message or bright outlook on life that the book had.

I'm reading "Carry On, Mr. Bowditch". I just got it in the mail this afternoon and I have a discussion online about it on Thursday afternoon, so I'm zooming through it. It is a wonderful book. I'm so going to read it to the boys when we are done with "Tom Sawyer". They will love it.

3 comments:

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Audrey said...

Hey Michelle, do you have Netflix? They have the movie, "Cheaper by the Dozen" based on the original book. We just watched it the other day. They leave out a few things, but it is still really good--much better than anything Steve Martin has done. I am an original Pink Panther movie fan and his Pink Panther movies are atrocious.

Michelle said...

Thank you so much! We just watched it. It was so much more true to the book and a great movie. The boys loved it. It's kinda like reading the book again, in that we all bring up other scenes from the book and laugh and cry all over again. It's such a great story!