I have so many ideas, projects, activities, and such rolling around my head and life that I can't keep track! Yikes! I'm thinking I need to schedule some time to sit down and write them out each day, like a "Look what I did!" list so that I realize how much we have actually gotten done each day. I'll start right now, but just about yesterday evening. Arg...my space bar is sticking...
Yesterday afternoon, just before Karate class, Jake wanted me to download "Seterra" on his computer so that he could play with it when he got back. He wants to add ten minutes of study time with this program to his morning routine so that he has a better grasp of world geography. I'm not sure how many details are necessary for a ten year old, but he is concerned that all he knows are countries related to World War II so he figures he should study up. It was fun to watch him trying to beat his own speed score over and over again. The program asks you where things are and then gives you three chances to find it, the it shows you. Pretty cool. It keeps track of who plays and their scores, so he wants us to play as well so that he has someone else to challenge.
Tom is doing amazingly well on his Latin study that he started at the beginning of the month. We bought Lively Latin and love it. I highly recommend it. You print the pages of the book and complete them in order. It has all the instructions, no teacher required. And there are corresponding videos and such to watch online. Very cool. The best is that it is teaching him so much, your typical English Grammar stuff and a boat load of Roman/World history. Not to mention, there is writing on the pages he needs to do and he is balking at it. His penmanship is atrocious and he knows it, so he asked that I print some cursive practice pages to add to his study time. It's already getting better.
My studies are making me VERY happy right now. I'm continuing with my Classic Mom's class at Abigail Adams Academy. It meets online twice a month for discussion. I discovered iTunesU on the iPad and I'm listening in on a seminary class that goes from Genesis to Joshua. Great stuff there. I found audio books there as well, so we've been using the iPad in the car to listen to "Huckleberry Finn" on our road trips. AND I just started Constitution 101 at Hillsdale College. All these classes are for my own benefit, they are free, and I get no "school credit" for them, but damn I feel smarter! I finally started loving learning again!
Karate is being put on hiatus until after baseball season. Sensei is not happy about it, but it just can't be helped. He told the boys that it is up to them to stay in shape. If they look like they have been practicing over baseball season then they will restart right where they left off, but if they look rusty he'll have to hold them back. The boys are fine with it. They aren't real excited about karate anyway. They only go because the like the schedule and activity and they feel better when they get regular exercise. And they like the sparring, which they need to learn to control before someone gets seriously hurt.
Ok, I'm off. I spent the time I usually use to do my reading doing this so now I'm off to start the day and we'll see if I can't find the time to blog more often...again....We have our homeschool park day today and baseball practice this evening!
Yesterday afternoon, just before Karate class, Jake wanted me to download "Seterra" on his computer so that he could play with it when he got back. He wants to add ten minutes of study time with this program to his morning routine so that he has a better grasp of world geography. I'm not sure how many details are necessary for a ten year old, but he is concerned that all he knows are countries related to World War II so he figures he should study up. It was fun to watch him trying to beat his own speed score over and over again. The program asks you where things are and then gives you three chances to find it, the it shows you. Pretty cool. It keeps track of who plays and their scores, so he wants us to play as well so that he has someone else to challenge.
Tom is doing amazingly well on his Latin study that he started at the beginning of the month. We bought Lively Latin and love it. I highly recommend it. You print the pages of the book and complete them in order. It has all the instructions, no teacher required. And there are corresponding videos and such to watch online. Very cool. The best is that it is teaching him so much, your typical English Grammar stuff and a boat load of Roman/World history. Not to mention, there is writing on the pages he needs to do and he is balking at it. His penmanship is atrocious and he knows it, so he asked that I print some cursive practice pages to add to his study time. It's already getting better.
My studies are making me VERY happy right now. I'm continuing with my Classic Mom's class at Abigail Adams Academy. It meets online twice a month for discussion. I discovered iTunesU on the iPad and I'm listening in on a seminary class that goes from Genesis to Joshua. Great stuff there. I found audio books there as well, so we've been using the iPad in the car to listen to "Huckleberry Finn" on our road trips. AND I just started Constitution 101 at Hillsdale College. All these classes are for my own benefit, they are free, and I get no "school credit" for them, but damn I feel smarter! I finally started loving learning again!
Karate is being put on hiatus until after baseball season. Sensei is not happy about it, but it just can't be helped. He told the boys that it is up to them to stay in shape. If they look like they have been practicing over baseball season then they will restart right where they left off, but if they look rusty he'll have to hold them back. The boys are fine with it. They aren't real excited about karate anyway. They only go because the like the schedule and activity and they feel better when they get regular exercise. And they like the sparring, which they need to learn to control before someone gets seriously hurt.
Ok, I'm off. I spent the time I usually use to do my reading doing this so now I'm off to start the day and we'll see if I can't find the time to blog more often...again....We have our homeschool park day today and baseball practice this evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment