Thursday, February 2, 2012

Convicted!

This was in my "A Year Through the Torah" book this morning and I have to admit I am pretty guilty of it fairly often...ok daily. I think I should reform though since it often brings me grief.

"Lashon hara means "the evil tongue", but it should not be understood exclusively as saying slanderous things about others or using profanity (though that is certainly included in the concept). No, lashon hara means saying something bad about another person even if it happens to be true. In other words, lashon hara is gossip, spreading evil (even if true) reports, or expressing a critical spirit about others."

I don't think that means that you should give a bad report if asked in court or to some other end. Like if someone asked me if they should hire the roofer we hired at our house in Anaheim. I'd say no, sorry, I wouldn't hire him again, and that should be enough. But being critical of others, just to complain about it, even if it makes me feel better is something I need to stop doing. It isn't getting anyone anywhere. In the future, if I just NEED to complain, I'll write it down in my top secret journal and then burn it in the fireplace!

No comments: