So early this afternoon I heard a squeaking sound in the back yard. I've heard this noise before. It's "distressed bunny". Last time I heard it was when a gopher snake caught one outside my laundryroom. So I went outside and looked around. Here comes the cat sauntering up the porch. I look beyond him and a rabbit outside the fence is sitting there, kinda stunned, hops away. I thought the cat had caught him, he screamed, the cat ran off. The cottontails out here are an equal match for him, but they run and that catches his attention.
A little while later, I hear it again. Tom follows me out to find the source. The cat saunters up the porch again. Tom found it! A tiny baby bunny in the very center of a plant on the porch, like a cabbage patch kid! We scooped him up among many oohhhs and ahhhs! He was adorable! Bad kitty!
We brought him in and showed him around. He was stunned. That other rabbit was probably his mom! We put him in a box with a towel and he hopped around a little. He wasn't hurt, just stunned and very scared. So we looked up how to care for a baby rabbit, but the sites we found said that most wild baby bunnies will die in a week no matter what you do. They need their family. It said to put him around where we found him and his mom will come looking and calling for him when it was safe.
So we did. Now the boys want a pet rabbit. Not going to happen. Between the cat and the dogs...it will get messy. We went to the spot where I saw the momma bunny and when we went outside the baby poked his head up and sniffed around excitedly. Then we put him near a shady bush with lots of cover and he hopped off underneath. I'm sure his mom will find him soon. I brought the cat in and gave him a reserve can of wet food so that he would be too fat and sleepy to go out there and look for him. He's happily asleep on Tom's bed now.
He was so tiny and adorable!
A little while later, I hear it again. Tom follows me out to find the source. The cat saunters up the porch again. Tom found it! A tiny baby bunny in the very center of a plant on the porch, like a cabbage patch kid! We scooped him up among many oohhhs and ahhhs! He was adorable! Bad kitty!
So we did. Now the boys want a pet rabbit. Not going to happen. Between the cat and the dogs...it will get messy. We went to the spot where I saw the momma bunny and when we went outside the baby poked his head up and sniffed around excitedly. Then we put him near a shady bush with lots of cover and he hopped off underneath. I'm sure his mom will find him soon. I brought the cat in and gave him a reserve can of wet food so that he would be too fat and sleepy to go out there and look for him. He's happily asleep on Tom's bed now.
He was so tiny and adorable!
No comments:
Post a Comment