Friday, August 23, 2013

Finished “Eumenides” by Aeschylus

Third book in this trilogy. Orestes seeks refuge in Athena's temple. He has killed his mother, his own blood and the people are against him. Apollo defends him because he told him to do it. There is a trial, Orestes is set free. The people are mad because they think these young gods are trying to turn their world upside down.

Here's where I get confused though. In the end, the chorus leaves happy as a clam with Athena's decision. I don't get it. What happened? Maybe I'll understand more next time I read it.

One cool quote from this play though. “To be called mother is no wise to be parent, but rather nurse to seed new-sown. The male begets: she's host to her small guest; preserves the plant, except it please God to blight it.”

You always hear about how “Just because you got a girl pregnant, doesn't make you a real father.” but you don't hear that about women. Just because you gave birth, doesn't make you a real mother. And that's true too.

No comments: