Saturday, March 17, 2012

Do I argue or debate?

I was reading "The Student Whisper" by Tiffany Earl yesterday while I was waiting for Tom at baseball practice and came a across an important question. Do I argue or debate when talking with friends and family? Here are the definitions:

argue = to give reasons for or against something
When you argue, you are attempting to persuade someone to your opinion or way of thinking.

debate = a contention by words or arguments as a regulated discussion of a proposition between two matched sides
When you debate, you are attempting to find the truth.

When having a conversation with my friends, am I trying to find the truth or am I only interested in convincing someone that I am right? I know one person that I talk with often who I feel really is trying to seek truth. I don't think I usually am. I think in my heart, finding truth is what I want but in practice I'm not much of a listener and need to work on that.

Then I look at the recent presidential "debates" and think maybe those were more like arguments that debates. Not much of the "search for truth" there at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool to know the difference- I have always been a debater, or so I thought (but I think you nailed it: I need to listen more if I truly want to uncover the truth). Thanks!!