Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Shouldn't everyone be doing this?

I don't consider myself an expert, or even aspire to be an expert, on our system of government or economics. I do love history, but even on that I only hope to be moderately knowledgeable. My point is that I'm trying to have a basic understanding of these things so that I can participate in the world instead of sitting on the sidelines and letting life happen to me. I wish I could have gotten that basic knowledge earlier, say at school where they say that is what it is for. I really wish everyone in our country would have this working knowledge. Maybe things would be even better for our country and the economy. I believe that was what the founding fathers were attempting to create, a country with an educated population that would actively live life, protect freedom, and pursue their own happiness.

Once someone asked me what my schools graduation requirements would be. As a private school in California, I am supposed to create my own. I think this is what it will be. My students must show, in writing and speech, that they understand the basic workings of Austrian AND Keynesian economics, the history of different types of government, and the background of our country's founding and constitution. A voting citizen NEEDS to understand how our government works and why it was set up the way it is. It's not a matter of whether or not you like history, economics, or government. It wouldn't matter if we had a king or dictator. But if you like having choices to make and the freedom to live the way you wish, you better know how or someone will take it from you.

Learn it or lose it! It's not rocket science. If it were, our founding fathers would not have expected farmers and merchants to understand and use it.

1 comment:

Grandma B said...

Nicely said. Participate and have choices, don't participate and someone else makes the choice for you. Hope pur country can continue on the principals it was founded on with some minor adjustments to meet modern needs, or we are all in big trouble. It takes young people like yourself and the children that follow to keep us on the right track.