Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Greek?

The things that my boys come up with. Jake has been trying to learn Greek. He's watched several videos on YouTube. He has found online lessons. We even bought a "Conversational Greek" CD. But then I ran across this...

I found it here http://www.greeknstuff.com/ because of this magazine http://www.homeschoolmagazines.com/ which I found at my friends store here http://www.excellenceineducation.com/

Have any idea what I'm talking about? Well, first of all, it's cool to see my boys pick up a subject because of something they saw and are interested in and then study it to death. And second, that when you are out in the world doing things, you never know where it will lead you, so keep your eyes open.

Jake is approaching learning Greek much like he did learning to read English. When he was about 6 years old, he asked me to get him a workbook about letters. I did, for about $3 at Walmart. He grinned and ran off looking for a pencil. A couple hours later, he came back with the book all filled in and said he was done. I thought that was odd. He was just playing at "school". But sure enough, he did know all the letters and sounds and could write them all fairly quickly and well. His brother is not like that at all. Writing something is against his nature and you would think very painful to him. 

Fast forward. Jake is ten years old and wants to learn Greek. Not Greek so he can converse with Greek people during his travels to Greece (it could happen) but Ancient "Biblical" Greek so he can translate the Bible. So there he is, writing away, flipping through flashcards, and listening to the CD. It's taking a little longer than the ABC's though. It's funny. His brother likes books and things that you have to work through and figure out. There does not need to be answers and translations. But Jake hates that. He doesn't get a thing from it. But give him something to answer and memorize, he's a whiz. Give him a checklist of things to get done and he's all over it. It's fun to watch him. 

No comments: