Monday, August 13, 2012

Wet Summer

Yick! It's been the wettest summer ever! The great thing about the desert is that though it may be hot during the summer, it is dry and a nice swamp cooler can make it so cool indoors. And the nights cool off soooo nice. But not this year. We got the monsoons. So sad. I thought it would be like this. It was so dry this winter and fairly mild. We had no real snow at all. And I'm going on record to right now to say that we will get a big snow this coming winter!

Here are some pictures of the storm we had yesterday.

Here's one side, directly east of us.

This one was just north of us. I thought it would miss us, but it turned!

Look at the darkness!

Pretty, isn't it?

Run chickens! Here it comes!


They don't have the sense to come out of the rain either!
The best part about these storms is that you can watch them coming. Sometimes they go right by us and rain on another neighborhood. It can be completely dry one mile away. Yesterday, we saw the cloud east of us. Then started to hear the thunder get louder and louder. I went out and started taking pictures. I sat on the porch and watched. It was about 105 degrees and dead still, bright and clear everywhere else but due east and another one north of us. The thunder got louder and then all of a sudden you could hear the wind coming. It suddenly smelled like rain and was 20 degrees cooler, like a giant swamp cooler! The sun was shaded and it started to pour. It wasn't as strong as the one yesterday that we missed. Ann said the chairs all blew up into the air and she couldn't shut her front door!

It looks like we might get another one today. I sure hope it dries out soon.

No comments: