We finally pulled the trigger on the bathroom remodel! Yay! These are the before pictures.
I'm not sure when this bathroom was put in like this, but I think it's the first bathroom. The house looks like it was a desert cabin at first, with an outhouse. When piped water came out to this area, they added the bathroom.
We had recovered the shower walls to make it useable when we first moved in, but dirt finally started coming out from under the plastic and the divider wall between the shower and toilet was falling apart. It looked like termites were eating it.
They were! The black is the glue that held that find wall paneling onto the drywall. The white around the edges is where termite ate all the paper and much of the dry wall. Strange though. It wasn't from the damp of the shower. It was from the top down mostly. Like the roof may have been leaking at some point.
Luckily, it was old, dead tunnels. The last time someone sprayed for termites killed them all, except behind the tub a little. I found a few there while I was tearing it out.
Tearing out the old stuff was fun. It's a little cramped in there, so I tore out stuff and made a pile and the boys kept coming in and removing things to the front yard. The plan is to take that stuff to the dump when we are done.
The tub and toilet will stay. They are fine. Dan will put in a new shower surround and drywall. I will mud and paint, probably put some kind of texture on the walls. I have already picked out an awesome cabinet and sink!
The linoleum floor isn't coming up easily, but the heat gun is helping a lot! The plan here is to put in that cool new tile that looks like wood planks. I can't wait to see it in!
I'm not sure when this bathroom was put in like this, but I think it's the first bathroom. The house looks like it was a desert cabin at first, with an outhouse. When piped water came out to this area, they added the bathroom.
We had recovered the shower walls to make it useable when we first moved in, but dirt finally started coming out from under the plastic and the divider wall between the shower and toilet was falling apart. It looked like termites were eating it.
They were! The black is the glue that held that find wall paneling onto the drywall. The white around the edges is where termite ate all the paper and much of the dry wall. Strange though. It wasn't from the damp of the shower. It was from the top down mostly. Like the roof may have been leaking at some point.
Luckily, it was old, dead tunnels. The last time someone sprayed for termites killed them all, except behind the tub a little. I found a few there while I was tearing it out.
Tearing out the old stuff was fun. It's a little cramped in there, so I tore out stuff and made a pile and the boys kept coming in and removing things to the front yard. The plan is to take that stuff to the dump when we are done.
The tub and toilet will stay. They are fine. Dan will put in a new shower surround and drywall. I will mud and paint, probably put some kind of texture on the walls. I have already picked out an awesome cabinet and sink!
The linoleum floor isn't coming up easily, but the heat gun is helping a lot! The plan here is to put in that cool new tile that looks like wood planks. I can't wait to see it in!






No comments:
Post a Comment