Friday, August 29, 2014

Board Games

It's hot. And it's the end of the month...the lull before the storm really because we have a boat load of excitement planned for September. Nowhere to go. Too hot to be outside anywhere. Don't want to spend money to drive and get to something indoors and/or cool. So I pulled out the games. I love board games and I tend to buy them and then they rarely get played. The boys have outgrown them right as they became mature enough to play the games that looked like fun to me. But they are good sports and will play one every once in a while to entertain me!

Today I pulled out "Made For Trade". It's a game kind of like monopoly, set in Revolutionary times. It was made to teach some history and economics of the time. They especially don't like games that are too teachy, like this one. But it is fun when we do play because we tend to take on the characters we choose as pawns. 


This game led us to an economics talk because we didn't think it was quite accurate, but decided it couldn't be unless we changed it a bit and we just might the next time we play. We got into to a heated debate about freedom of speech and where one person's rights end and another person's begin, looked up the Bill of Rights, and practiced some debate skills.

Then the whole thing devolved into a battle on the floor which I tried to take a video of as proof of the insanity, but failed.

This evening, Dad got off work early and we went out for dinner. Conversation there continued about rights, motorcycle engines, the Alien and Sedition Act, WWI, Japanese internment, and the legalization of recreational drugs.

It has been one of those days.


No comments: