“I'm not my
son's friend, I'm his parent!”
I've heard this several times
recently and it makes me cringe. Do so many of us not know what the
meaning of the word 'friend' is? Here's what I found when I looked it
up on TheFreeDictionary.com.
A person whom one knows, likes, and
trusts.
A person whom one knows; an
acquaintance.
A person with whom one is allied in a
struggle or cause; a comrade.
Word History: A friend
is a lover, literally. The relationship between Latin am
cus
"friend" and am
"I love" is clear, as is the relationship between Greek
philos "friend" and phile
"I love."
1. a person attached to another
by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives
assistance; patron; supporter.
3. a person who is on good terms
with another; a person who is not hostile.
When I read these I believe I DO want
to be my child's friend. Maybe what parents need to do is model what
a good friend truly is.
The bible says in Corinthians 13:4-7:
5 It
does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily
angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
And if “friend” means “to love”,
shouldn't that scripture apply to a friend?
I think people are mistaking a friend
for what kids typically find in schools. These are not friends, they
are acquaintances. People you are forced to associate with in a
school or work situation are not necessarily friends. A friend is
something completely different.
A friend is someone that encourages and
builds you up. When you tell a friend your dreams and goals, they
help you achieve it, not squash them with negatives. When you are sad
and lonely, a friend takes you out for ice cream and lets you vent
your frustration without judging you. He stops you when your sadness
or anger gets out of control and starts to hurt others. When you've
had a rough day, a friend says “Let's go get a drink and listen to
some great music!”, not “Let's get completely wasted and cause
trouble.” Most of all a friend makes you be a better you than you
would be without them.
I hope and pray every day that my sons
see me as a friend and not an authority over them. I hope they find
me to someone to confide in, to trust, and to love in return.
No comments:
Post a Comment