Monday, August 29, 2011

Oh my goodness!

I love it when I'm reading about one thing and it applies to other things. Just now, I was reading "A Year Through the Torah" by John J. Parsons and I read this, "Most of us, I'm afraid, don't want to be free. It's so much easier for us to regard ourselves as pleasing to God on the basis of some litany of rules that we are following." Wow! Ain't that the truth?! Here, he's referring to the reason so many people throughout time have added "religion" to the scriptures and relied on following those man-made rules instead of their own hearts and faith in God. That's mind-blowing in and of itself, but I think that's the same reason people refuse freedom in the secular world as well. Think of homeschooling. Taking responsibility for your own children is a huge task with many life long consequences. I can't blame anyone but myself for how my children turn out. Oh, wait, I could blame them though. :)) Since they ultimately have the freedom to make their own choices, their lives are their own. They have no one to blame but themselves as well. Now, that's a hard pill to swallow. We have chosen freedom. We have chosen to live our lives by God's Will, not our own. I pray daily that the right information will cross my path, that God will provide for us throughout our lives in every way, and the things (or information) that we don't get are apparently not needed in God's eyes.

And this goes for government as well. The small government that people like me promote, is too small to take care of your every need. You must provide for yourself, which means that you may fail. There is no one but you to blame when things go wrong. It means that we, as a people, must educate ourselves about the world and our history. It means that we are responsible and it's a boat load of work and not always safe. Ahh...I'm having a hard time putting this into word coherently. Writing is not my strong point. But I've got the basic idea down "on paper" and I'll write more about it later. Back to the book, but first more coffee!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love reading your blog and hearing your thoughts and ideas on whatever the topics are. You are educating the world in small pieces every day and hopefully others are listening. I would have never taken up the Torah or Koran mainly because it is a difficult read and I am not sure I would understand any of it. So thank you for helping me understand a little bit more and while we cannot always converse in person I am listening and sharing. You are enriching my life every day! Love you,

Grandma B

Cindy said...

That sounds like an interesting book. I like the quote you shared.

Michelle said...

Thank you to the both of you! I love the feedback.