Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Big Bear Camping!

A friend invited us to go camping with them up in Big Bear this week. We've been crazy busy and I wasn't sure about tent camping for very long, so we decided to just go up for one night and try it out. It was just me and the boys because Dad had to work.

We got a new tent when we were down in the city last weekend. Loaded up the truck with a cooler full of water and a box of MRE's and some snacks and hit the road. After a bit of hunting, we finally found our friends. Ok, I had to call them and have them lead us in.

Gorgeous spot!

Had a great time with our friends playing in the woods and telling jokes around the campfire. Our MRE dinner was fun! We didn't get much sleep, lumpy ground, whatever. But the moon rise was beautiful and I didn't put the tent cover up so it was like sleeping under the stars. I heard an owl hooting nearby. And a raccoon got into my friends food!



We had some breakfast and broke camp. We packed light. Seriously, it was one trip from the tent to the truck. Tent, backpacks, and sleeping bags. I had left the food in the truck, what there was of it.

We went to the Alpine Slide with our friends and then parted ways. Tom desperately wanted to go fishing, so we had brought the poles. We stopped at a bait shop and I got a fishing license and some bait. We had burgers at our favorite place "Get the Burger" and then drove over to the other side of the lake. It was hot and late, so it wasn't good fishing but I promised that we would come back soon and try again.

Tom treating Jake to some ice cream.
Tom fishing. I don't think Jake is really helping the situation.
Jake's "Huck Finn" look.
We had a GREAT time! I was nervous going camping alone with out my protector. Having growing sons is pretty nice though. I know that Tom can change a tire. And Jake is up for almost any situation. I have a renewed interested in camping and fishing! Poor Dan. :)

No comments: