Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Rain!

You've probably heard it before, but there is nothing like rain in the desert, especially in the summer. Last night, while I was out watering my trees and feeding my chickens, the wind began to blow. It felt different, damp. The sky was hazy in the south. The mountains were beginning to fade. Storm. I told Dan he might want to clean up tools and such tonight. He's been working on the RV. We went to bed with the fans off because the wind was blowing so nice.

This morning I woke up to the sound of pattering, almost didn't believe it. I thought it was a dream or the wind blowing something that sounded like rain, but then there was that smell. There are a lot of pictures of desert storms and they are all so pretty, but there is no way to share that smell with you. You can smell it if it's raining in another part of the desert. It's carried on the wind. But it was raining here and raining good, enough to have it run off the roof, not just a mist. I went out and sat on the porch and watched for awhile, then came in and went back to bed for awhile. The boys heard it too, and they woke up and did the same. I heard them in there talking in hushed tones. Then told them to be quiet 'cause I was trying to sleep darn it! :))

It's the 4th of July and it's cloudy and cool. I wish this could last all day. I just got through telling someone how nice it is to live in the dry desert. It's going to be a bit muggy today, that's for sure.

No comments: