We drove down into the city for a cousin's birthday party yesterday. The boys were excited to share one of their favorite books with their "cousin" for his birthday. It's my cousin's son, so what does that make them? I'm not sure.
We stopped at the book store since it was right on the way. Jake got a CD about learning Greek to listen to in the car. Very well done. It was staged as a conversation between two people on a delayed flight to Greece. One was teaching the other phrases in Greek while they waited. Jake started to get frustrated because he felt like he wasn't "learning" it. I reminded him that he didn't understand all the lyrics and order of the songs on a Beatles CD when he first listened to it. He had to hear it several times before he remembered them all. Now he's an expert. We need to hear it more than once through. And besides Greek is HARD!
The party was at a pizza place and the boys made sure to bring money for arcade games. Made me proud that they never asked me for a dime the whole time we were there. They ran out of change, so they went to the car and got the new casino game they got at the book store earlier. It has a roulette wheel! Of course, none of the other boys wanted to learn a new game so they played together for a bit and got my Mom and I involved for a few minutes then moved on to cards.
Leaving the party, Tom realized that I had signed the card from all of us instead of getting them to sign it. We left early and in the spirit of speed, I didn't wait for them to get up and awake. He was worried that his cousin would think that he didn't get him a present, but I assured him that the card was from all of us and so was the gift.
We went to Target on the way home because it was there! Jake needed a new bathing suit and he was bothered by the fact that they didn't have any that didn't look stupid. Neither of the boys like anything with any flash to it. No prints, no shorts, no extra pockets, baggy things, bright colors, or slogans. It's only slightly obsessive, but I'm the same way so I have no one to blame but myself. We got a suit in the men's section that was plain blue with a stripe, so he's happy now. Tom says his (from about three years ago) is fine. It does fit and it's orange so you'll have a hard time beating that. Both the boys wandered a bit through the toys and thought maybe we could get some Lego's for their cousin and he might still be at the pizza place. Sheesh!
On the way out of town we stopped for gas. Nothing is more satisfying than having your son get gas for you. I didn't even need to get out of the car. Ahh...
I love my boys. I love that they are growing so independent. I love that they don't NEED to get dumb toys for playing arcade games anymore. I love that they will come sit by me and hug me. I love that they try so hard to relate to older, more mature people. I just wish there were more people with the maturity to see that these boys are trying to be men and would do that much faster if more men would treat them as such.
We stopped at the book store since it was right on the way. Jake got a CD about learning Greek to listen to in the car. Very well done. It was staged as a conversation between two people on a delayed flight to Greece. One was teaching the other phrases in Greek while they waited. Jake started to get frustrated because he felt like he wasn't "learning" it. I reminded him that he didn't understand all the lyrics and order of the songs on a Beatles CD when he first listened to it. He had to hear it several times before he remembered them all. Now he's an expert. We need to hear it more than once through. And besides Greek is HARD!
The party was at a pizza place and the boys made sure to bring money for arcade games. Made me proud that they never asked me for a dime the whole time we were there. They ran out of change, so they went to the car and got the new casino game they got at the book store earlier. It has a roulette wheel! Of course, none of the other boys wanted to learn a new game so they played together for a bit and got my Mom and I involved for a few minutes then moved on to cards.
Leaving the party, Tom realized that I had signed the card from all of us instead of getting them to sign it. We left early and in the spirit of speed, I didn't wait for them to get up and awake. He was worried that his cousin would think that he didn't get him a present, but I assured him that the card was from all of us and so was the gift.
We went to Target on the way home because it was there! Jake needed a new bathing suit and he was bothered by the fact that they didn't have any that didn't look stupid. Neither of the boys like anything with any flash to it. No prints, no shorts, no extra pockets, baggy things, bright colors, or slogans. It's only slightly obsessive, but I'm the same way so I have no one to blame but myself. We got a suit in the men's section that was plain blue with a stripe, so he's happy now. Tom says his (from about three years ago) is fine. It does fit and it's orange so you'll have a hard time beating that. Both the boys wandered a bit through the toys and thought maybe we could get some Lego's for their cousin and he might still be at the pizza place. Sheesh!
On the way out of town we stopped for gas. Nothing is more satisfying than having your son get gas for you. I didn't even need to get out of the car. Ahh...
I love my boys. I love that they are growing so independent. I love that they don't NEED to get dumb toys for playing arcade games anymore. I love that they will come sit by me and hug me. I love that they try so hard to relate to older, more mature people. I just wish there were more people with the maturity to see that these boys are trying to be men and would do that much faster if more men would treat them as such.
1 comment:
Don't forget that other children as well as their parents didn't have the benifet of such enlightened parents. Every time something like this happens accept it as a validation of the fact you are a rare and exceptional one.
Post a Comment